Sweet or Caramelized Plantains are delicious. We usually serve them either as a side, yes a side, or as dessert.
- 1 Ripe plantain
- ¾ Cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- ½ Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Cinnamon Powder
1. As always, cut the two ends of the plantain, and make a cut down the side through the skin only, to peel the skin off.
2. Cut in slices of about 0.25” each. You can slant them if you wish.
3. Fry the plantains about 2 to 3 minutes on each side with enough hot oil.
4. When the plantains are browned, remove them and lay them on paper towels to remove the excess oil.
5. Place the plantains in another pan at medium heat; add the water, the sugar and the cinnamon.
6. Let the water boil, and it will start to turn into a caramelized and sticky mixture.
7. Once you reach this consistency, serve and enjoy.
***Some people also make this recipe with bananas, almost overripe bananas.