White rice is white rice, right? Wrong! This cereal is common in all countries and cultures, but each one eats it differently. My favorite is any kind of Asian rice preparation, because I like the mushy-sushi style rice. However, that is not usually how Venezuelans prepare it or prefer it. Rice is one of the most consumed products in Venezuela, because it is the cereal with the most protein content and the least fat content. It also absorbs flavors of other ingredients pretty easily so most people use it often in all their dishes and preparations. The most common type is the white long grain type, and it is usually served as a side in beef, chicken and fish dishes, as well as inside soups, and we even make a drink out of it, Chicha.
What you need:
- 1 Cup White Rice
- 2 Cups Water
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove (minced)
- ½ Medium Onion diced in two
- 1/8 Green Bell Pepper in strips
- 1/8 Red Bell Pepper in strips
1. You can prepare the rice in two different ways.
- Add the water, salt, oil, garlic, onion, and bell peppers in a large enough pot. Cook in high heat until the water is boiling, and then add the rice. Stir everything together and let it cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until the water has almost completely evaporated.
Option 2 (Pictured):
- Add the salt, oil, garlic, onion, bell peppers and rice into a large enough pot. Stir-fry all the ingredients on high heat, and then as they brown, add the water. Bring to a boil, and then cook until the water has almost completely evaporated.
*I usually prefer option 2.
2. Turn the heat to low, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes, until the rice is soft, dry and loose/fluffy.
3. Remove the pot from the heat, and remove all the big pieces of onion and bell peppers.
4. Serve with butter on top and enjoy.
- Always stir rice with a fork and not a wooden spoon, because the wooden spoon will make it stick to itself, and it will end up being sushi/mushy rice.
- For the perfect rice consistency you can add a little bit of limejuice or a little bit of white vinegar.
- My dad used to serve us little “mountains” of rice. Just grab a small enough bowl or container, then wet it or grease it with butter, press the rice onto the bowl, and flip it on the dish you are going to serve it. You can also decorate with little herbs on top.
Some Venezuelan Brands of White Rice include Arroz Mary and Arroz Santa Ana.